Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Mini Skirt?

Houston Tri-Level Phone Booth at store opening.
Do you remember the Mini Skirt?? Early 70's skimpy attire, responsible for a good deal of male eye strain and compulsive distraction! While drawing the floor plan of our first prototypical raised square bar for Friday's, I discovered a convenient spot for a two-level phone booth. Herbert Hughes, our designer, trimmed the idea out with stained glass ceiling and doors. Magic happened in that phone booth, couples met and some asked to hold their weddings in the booth. It also accounted for a good deal of eye strain.    While drawing the floor plan of our second store I was not completely settled on the first plan so I decided to test a third level above the bar. OMG! I deny that I was prompted by any phone booth considerations but the new level did accommodate a third, I am sorry, obscene level. I never had nerve to use that phone booth myself but I heard stories. For completely unrelated reasons I eliminated that level on future stores, in spite of all the petitions and letters to the contrary the third level had to go!
No! That's final, I won't go look!

1 comment:

  1. No, I am just kidding , thats me talking to Rush Bowman and Carol Hufford at one of the store openings. They don't recall it this was but Carol, seeking a raise, was telling me how much I look like Cary Grant and Rush who was on shaky ground anyway was saying, "That's a bunch of baloney."

    ReplyDelete